Saturday, June 25, 2011

Wow!!!!


This past week has been a whirl wind adventure! Operation Sell This House, turned into a reality! First let me tell you, it is a little bitter sweet. This home has been mine since I went out into the brave new world of adulthood. I bought this little jem on my tiny first year's teaching salary. Then, when the hubs came along, he helped me turn it into the fabulous little house it is now. It is a perfect 1st time home buyer house. Its not too big not too small (well if you don't already have a gaggle of kiddos).

I bought it before it was even finished being built. My sweet family friend, helped me find this house and now she is helping me sell it. She has been in my life since I was born, her daughter (adopted... more on that later) took dance from my mother as a child. She helped my parents find the house they live in, that I grew up in, my grandparent's house in Lakeland and then sold it once they passed away. I mean she GOOD! Of course none of those were during a tanked market like we have today, but still we have already shown the house (today) and its only been on the market 2 days!

So, the week started with cleaning up from a shower we had for some sweet friends having a sweet baby girl, Garner. I just love that name! Then I had to tackle the one thing I have been putting off... painting trim... I HATE PAINTING TRIM!!! It takes twice as long to tape it off than it does to paint it and then you have to rip the tape off... so disappointing! So, Wednesday we met with her and filled out all of the paperwork, Robbie helped her measure the rooms, while I took pictures of my SPOTLESS house (that has to be in caps cause our house is never spotless). Thursday she listed it and Friday we got our first call about a showing... I was like wow!!!! The only negative to showings this weekend is that I have had 4 different cakes to make and that makes my kitchen look like Hurricane Katrina hit it. But, I have really worked on cleaning up as I go. Hard for the Master Procrastinator to do!

So with this whole 5 month ordeal (getting the house in order) we have looked at houses online, fallen in love with some, watched them sell, and looked for more. So while going over the paperwork, she asked which houses we would like to go see... Insert me acting like a kid in the candy store... So, she set up 4 appointments for us to go look today.

#1 The first one lets call, Objects appear bigger than they really are... It just went on the market, looked alright online. Was TINY in person, had laminate flooring throughout, the only thing it had going for it was the stainless side by side fridge that comes with.









#2 The Big Sister to our current house. I mean its the same color brick, open floor plan, the kitchen is set up exactly like ours, but the bedrooms.... were a bit small, but there were 4 of them. It is in a cove with an awkward lot It is on the outskirts of our budget, so Rob O said I don't think so. But in my mind, it is still on the list.






#3 The Fixer-Uper with a pool. This old house (literally) is perfect for us. It has room for improvements for sure, but nothing that we would have to do immediately, I mean if it is still on the market when we sell ours( so I guess what I am saying is wishful thinking).









#4 The Disturbingly dreadful house. First let me say that we knew it needed work, sold as is and the asking price is WAY below the surrounding houses. Well there is a list too long to name wrong with it, that's why! Walking up to the door the wood siding above the door is completely rotted out, once in the door smoke hits you like a ton of bricks, there are stains on the ceiling, cracks in walls upstairs, garage door is rotted at the bottom so small animals could get in and out... Robbie said that he felt dirty when we left after being in there. My thoughts are WHO IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD would think that this was acceptable to show. Oh wait I forgot the art work... Post- its. Yes I said post its, spelling out letters on one of the kids walls.


After this little outing, I can't believe that I was so worried about our house not being "ready." Closets were packed full of crap, cobwebs in corners of rooms, desks were covered in piles, carpets stained and dingy... etc. We have a storage unit for all that stuff an replaced some of our carpet. Surely someone will come along quickly and want to buy. I sure hope so.

But that raises the question, do I really want to leave this house that we have made awesome and have to do it all over again? I guess in the words of Bob Barker with my little twist, Welcome to " If, The Price is Right! We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment